4 – The Quadrantid meteor shower peaks at 8:00 UT with a ZHR variable from 100-130 favouring North America. This shower has very narrow time of peak activity with more visible meteors than Perseids shower.
9 – Close conjunction between bright planets Saturn and Venus at 4:12 UT. They pass within 10 arcsec of each other. Event is easily observable within a field of view of a telescope with higher magnifications.
10 – Comet C/2013 US10 (Catalina) should be at its brightest, with magnitude of around +5.
11 – New Moon.
24 – Full Moon.
Here are some key dates with celestial destiny for Comet US10 Catalina for the next few months:
- 7. December — Comet passes less than 5 degrees from the Venus and waning crescent Moon.
- 1. January — Comet passes less than 0.5 degree from the bright (0.04 magnitude) star Arcturus in Bootes.
- 12. January — Closest to Earth.
- 14., 15. January — Comet passes less than 1 degree from the bright star Alkaid in Ursa Major.
- 16. January — Comet passes less than 2 degrees from one of the brightest visible spiral galaxies M110.
- 17. January — Comet passes less than 3.5 degrees from the bright double star Mizar in Ursa Major.
Here is a list of astronomical events for given month. Location dependent events listed here are visible from central Europe.
11 – New Moon.
14 – The Geminids meteor shower peak with a ZHR of around 120. Favourable conditions with the Moon (illuminated less than 10%) bellow the horizon.
22 – The December southward solstice occurs at 4:48 UT.
23 – The Ursid meteor shower peaks at 2:30 UT with a ZHR variable from 10-50 favouring Europe and the Middle East.
23 – The Moon occults Aldebaran for Europe and central Asia at ~19:32 UT. Additional informations.
25 – Full Moon.
29 – Mercury reaches greatest evening elongation at 19.7° east of the Sun at 00:01 UT.
A great portion of the event hall was dedicated to gaming, especially to the newest Assassin’s creed game.
A large area was also dedicated to Star Wars saga and promotion of the exhibition Star Wars Identities that will be held in Vienna in the next few months.
And some pictures with various content.
More pictures can be seen in gallery.