Here is a quick tutorial on how to create a warmer coat that can be used for the purpose of the fantasy an medieval LARP events
. My plan was to create a warmer and water resistant (not water proof) that can be used for different events or characters. Its design is based on a piece of clothing named gambeson
. Historically it was used a stand-alone protective layer or worn under metallic armor.
Fabric used for the creation of this piece:
- Wool fabric
- Old bedding fabric used as a filler material
- Another layer of fabric for lining
- Assorted sewing materials
1. Cut out all need layers of fabric. In my case I used 4 layers of filling, upper woolen layer and cotton layer as lining. All six layers together form a sturdy and warm clothing.
2. Using parallel seams I quilted all the layers together. This prevents them to move independently. Quilting patter can wary, depending on your preferences.
2a. Optional: Stuff additional fabric between the quilting seams for even more warmer clothing with additional protection.
3. Sew all pieces of the clothing together. Length of the sleeves can wary depending on your preferences. I created shorter sleeves so the piece could also be used in the warmer months. Shorter sleeves also allow for greater flexibility of arms.
4. All outer visible parts of the clothing should have hemmed edges.
5. Add buttons. For this purpose I used 6 metallic buttons with slightly unusual look.
6. Have fun wearing it. Mine was already tested in few events.